My parents, shortly after they married...in 1953

My parents, shortly after they married...in 1953
Frances Mary Turri and Herbert Pompeii Pilato, in 1953, shortly after they married.

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Blessing Babies

One of my Mom's many endearments was that she used to bless everyone with her Rosary, including me, especially after each visit to her home.  And she would do so before and after she was diagnosed with dementia.

I would walk outside to my car, turn, and there'd she be, standing at her front window, with her Rosary in hand, blessing me with the Sign of the Cross.

That said, the Democrat and Chronicle, the local newspaper from my hometown of Rochester, New York, publishes an annual baby announcement supplement with photos of all the infants born in the previous year.

A few months before my Mom passed away in 2008, I remember walking into her apartment that year on the day the supplement.

She was sitting on her sofa, with the supplement on her lap.  Her left hand was holding steady the supplement; her right hand was holding her Rosary, the crucifix from which she was using to tap the photo of each infant.

When I asked her what she was doing, she replied, "Blessing babies."

We should all have such dementia...or at least be graced enough to be "blessed" - at any age - by who does.


No comments:

Post a Comment