My parents, shortly after they married...in 1953

My parents, shortly after they married...in 1953
Frances Mary Turri and Herbert Pompeii Pilato, in 1953, shortly after they married.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Sammy's Happy

When my nephew Sammy was about nine-years-old, he contracted a very serious viral infection. He was always a healthy little boy, athletic and never really ill - and certainly always happy. He never really had a big appetite, but during that one particular period, he wasn't eating very much at all. And he very much worried everyone in the family.

I knew for certain one day that the infection was serious, when he and his Mom - my sister, Pam - came over to see our parents (Frances and Herbie P.).

Sammy was bone thin, pale and weak.

I was so disturbed by his appearance, that I was forced to turn my head and cry, being sure not to show him my tears. For he certainly was not crying himself, and I did not want to make even a dent in his courage.

Instead - I thought only to make him laugh...to encourage him to be more joyful than he already was - and remains to this day.

For not only does Sammy laugh - but he loves to laugh...and he can't wait to laugh. And not in a mean-spirited way at the expense of others. But he loves to laugh the real joyful kind of laughter.

So, those now fifteen years or so ago, I had to act quickly. I had to swiftly somehow dry my tears.

I then turned to him, pulled him close and hugged him hello. Real tight.

I felt the bones on his back - and I almost cried some more. But I kept it together...concentrated...and somehow gathered my emotions...and recalled every joyful thought or joke I could muster...making a new few laughs along the way.

And then Sammy started to laugh...and I continued to tell jokes.

And he laughed some more.

And then some more.

And more still.

And my jokes kept coming...and he kept laughing - especially when I threw in a few silly physical manic moves of a clown.

A desperate clown.

Though Sammy never knew how desperate I really was to make him laugh.

And it didn't matter.

All that mattered is that he laughed.

And then a few days later - we all smiled.

Sammy was eating again, and gaining weight. He was getting healthier - and finally, his very serious viral infection was gone - replaced by a very happy infectious laughter and healing joy - that he continues to share to this day.

1 comment: