My parents, shortly after they married...in 1953

My parents, shortly after they married...in 1953
Frances Mary Turri and Herbert Pompeii Pilato, in 1953, shortly after they married.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

"Shouldn't I Be In College By Now?"

It was late in the super Summer of '78. I had not yet heard from the Number One College Choice on my list - which was Nazareth College of Rochester, New York. I had been accepted at a few area colleges, but Nazareth is the school that I very much wanted to attend - if only because of its awesome Theatre department. But also, too, because of the "chicks."

For years, Nazareth had been a "girls" school and, at the time, they had only recently transformed into a co-ed facility. So, it was an exciting time, all the way around.

Thing is, it was nearly August - and I had not yet received an acceptance letter. It's not like today, when high-schoolers and parents apply and plan for college years in advance. At least it wasn't like that for me.

Then, for me, weeks went by, and still no letter...until finally...it arrived. I would be attending my optimum choice for college in the Fall of '78.

As such, the process began. Registration, buying books, etc. I would be commuting to my parents home in Greenleaf Meadows, so signing up for a campus dorm, and so forth, was not part of the agenda.

But once everything was in place, I was simply waited for the other "letter."

You know the one?

The one that all kids, every age, receive at the end of summer as the new school year begins. The one that explains the start date and time for that first class in the first or second week of September, which usually began on a "Wednesday."

Well, THAT letter never arrived in the mail. Or least, I never saw it.

So, one day, while sitting at the Greenleaf pool (which would always open on Memorial Day - and close on Labor Day, the latter of which was fast approaching), I just decided to call "school," which in this glorius case, was Nazareth.

So someone "in the office" at Nazareth answered the phone.

"Nazareth College. How may I help you?"

"Yes," I replied. "I've been accepted at Nazareth, and I haven't received 'the letter' explaining when school is to start, and I'm just wondering when that will be?"

"When what will be, Sir?"

"School. When does it start?"

"Uhm, Sir. School started last week."

"WHAT?!"

"Yes, Sir. It's true."

"Ok, Ok! Thank you! I gotta' go!"

Not only did I have to go, but I had to go there FAST. Greenleaf Meadows in Greece, NY was some twenty-five miles from Nazareth College in Pittsford, NY, so I had to move. There was probably about ninety-five last-minute things I had to do.

Upon first arrival at "school," I parked, ran to the Registrar's office, took care of the last minute details, confirmed my class schedule - and I was off to meet my first professor - and new classmates.

This initial course was a Biology, and I made it just in time to hear my name in the initial roll call.

Honest.

Just as I walked into class, I heard, "Herbie J Pilato?"

"Here!" I said, if a little out of breath - and almost dangerously out of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment